September 3, 2014

You say crawfish, I say crayfish...


One of the challenges of being an SMC of two boys in middle childhood  is making sure there is a balance between gender-neutral activities and more male-oriented experiences.  You know, outdoor boy stuff where they touch things that are happier at the bottom of a pond and hold things that wriggle, bite and pinch.

On Saturday we took a guided nature hike that included a crayfish count for the county's conservation district.  The boys had a fabulous time!  We came across a rare female Queen Snake sunning itself on a foot bridge.  (oh, good, a snake)  Then our group of ten caught and released 172 crayfish in one hour.  It's a relatively simple (slightly disgusting) process that the boys enjoyed so much, they went back on Sunday.  

I love seeing them in these photos.  They're doing what young boys are supposed to do--well, after I applied sunscreen, made sure they had hats and used Purell on their hands before getting back in the car.  I may be a #momofboys, but I'm still a mom!









5 comments:

  1. Good Momma! I don't think I could have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a better boy mama than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun! I hope I can be brave enough to do things like this when my boys are older! It's hard enough to be brave and touch a bug or a worm now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun adventure! I can't wait to do things like this with Sidekick. You always have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, the snake would have been the end of it for me!!

    ReplyDelete